Writing about style, design and all things that catch my eye!

Perfectly imperfect and casually luxe; these are a few of my favorite things.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Bike wearing what you like!

Given that you're not wearing a really long skirt or wide leg pants, it seems only natural that bike rides meant as transportation require nothing more than your regular street clothes. I suggest saving the high performance gear for those who do serious exercise or training rides; instead, just get on your wheels in a style all your own.

A great example of this is local artist Julia Hensley. I kept seeing cool pics of her headed out on her bike to ballet class or various other places in skirts. She wears a mix of form-fitting separates (sometimes with knee highs) and it works beautifully! Take a look at these pics she sent me:

Julia Hensley in this moody shot where the blue really pops!

A few things really got me to thinking about this topic recently. First off, my daughter was training for the STP ride with her dad, and the first few times she went out in her short skirts and regular shoes. As their rides got further and further in distance, she really needed those high performance clothes-- so it was easy to get her into them at that point! I remember always telling her to put boy shorts under her regular skirts though. I was inspired when another blogger posted this story regarding a 'skirt bike ride' which was arranged after a tourist from Amsterdam was warned by NY City Police that she was a distraction to drivers as she rode along in her skirt.  Really? Give me (and all women) a break!  The photos of that night show us where it's at in skirt biking (along with the ones I'm showing you here). Can I have that gingham dress with the slits in the shoulder, please?

I then remembered that last year my friend Rebecca Staffel posted pictures of a group of her friends meeting up for dinner on their bikes (I once did a post on her & her Deluxe Foods biz). They called their group Heels on Wheels. Here are some lovely, close-up shots from one of their nights out:




"A beautiful urban pannier." wrote Kat Marriner.



 I love that this lady named Sue Griffith bikes in these golden Pumas. She told me
 "They're not quite heels, yet it's a start!". Yes!
What do you wear while biking about town? Later this week I hope to share images of some remarkably cool new helmets from Denmark; they will protect you on your way--- in high fashion!

Photos are copyright and courtesy of Julia Hensley, Kat Marriner, & Sue Griffith. Thanks ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...